Creating a Temporary Support Account
Sometimes it’s necessary to create a user account to help with product support. However it’s dangerous to give out an admin account to just anyone since this increases the likelihood of security issues.
We will always keep your information safe, and will only ever use your information to help fix the problems you are having, however it’s still worth keeping your website safe in the way we describe below.
The solution to this problem is to create a temporary admin account. Ideally, the admin account would be time limited, removing itself after a week or so, and not be able to edit users (so that the master admin account stays active). Thankfully there’s a plugin that does just this.
The Temporary login with password allows you to quickly create temporary accounts, that will automatically expire – keeping your websites data safe.
How to create a temporary support account:
- Go to the Plugins > Add New page in your WordPress Dashboard.
- Search for ‘Temporary Login Without Password‘, and install then activate the plugin.
- Once active go to the Users > Temporary Logins page. From here you can create new temporary users.
- Click ‘Create New‘ and enter an email address (for support from us use email@example.com). We recommend using the Admin level, and a week for the duration. A lower level will mean we can’t change all of the theme settings, and a shorter duration means we may not be able to fix any further issues that arise (or you will need to create more accounts).
- Once the account has been created you will be given a copy of the login link which you can send to us when opening a new support ticket.